We read to understand and it is useless to read very fast if we do not understand what we are reading. It is also true that reading too slowly can be annoying and difficult to understand. That is why we say that an effective reader is one who reads fluently to the text in front of him, and understands what he is reading.
If you want to encourage your child to learn to read fluently, understanding what he reads, here you have some advice.
Helping your child read fluently
There are different factors that will determine the fluency and level of reading comprehension for each child:
1. The characteristics of each child : age, personality, interests: We must potentiate, stimulate and make the most of our children’s capacities , their strengths and at the same time offer them appropriate and captivating readings for them. Try to make your children read a little everyday. In this way they will create a habit of reading .
2. The method of teaching: It is fundamental that the teaching method of reading that is being used at all times is tasty, stimulating and motivating for the child and for those who teach.
3. The Family and School Environment : Children who are accustomed to listening to parents’ stories from an early age, or who belong to families who enjoy reading, such as parents and siblings who read often, can become better readers . It is good to see how your parents and siblings have fun reading and, in addition, comment on what they are reading.
The abusive use of television or video games can negatively influence reading, since there is little time left to read and because it ends up receiving the information that comes out of a screen and is more comfortable than reading. They end up becoming conformist children .
4. The presentation and content of the readings: the argument, the illustrations, the typeface and the subject must be according to the reading stage of each child. Nowadays we have many books in different formats among which we can choose among which we can choose the most suitable for each person. To want to read and do it habitually depends on the reader’s abilities and tastes, but also on a remarkable way of reading the child.
The ideal is to offer a reading where both presentation and content are the most attractive, interesting and appropriate to each child’s ability, interest and needs. Therefore, it is very important to take into account your interests and preferences.
5. Take the child to a public library: It is interesting to have good books at home, but the public library is also an ideal place and offers us the opportunity to look for books of all kinds. As the child develops their interests and preferences they will be more interested in choosing their own books. We must not forget to create our own tales, aided by new technologies. There are numerous computer applications created for this purpose.
6. Empowering Reading Comprehension: When reading a book or a short story, we can read it together. First we read a paragraph and we rely on our words what we read, and then our child will read another paragraph and will do the same. It will be much more interesting and fun if we do with drama, emphasizing the voices of the characters , the rhythm and the melody.
David González Montero